Most diet plans forbid the consumption of alcohol; this isn't the case with the keto diet.
Please Note: the effects of the keto diet are different for everyone. You should consult with a doctor or health professional before starting any diet plan. This information about the keto diet is presented for educational purposes only and may not pertain to your health condition.
The keto diet is focused on low-carbohydrate and fat-rich consumption. In the past, the keto diet has been employed to help control diabetes. Today, the keto diet is generally used to encourage weight loss and promote a healthy lifestyle.
In general, most people understand which foods are permissible on the keto diet. However, alcohol has become a point of confusion for many practicing the keto diet. While alcohol is permitted with the keto diet, it’s important to understand which alcoholic beverages are keto-friendly.
If you’re exploring the keto diet and wondering if drinking alcohol stops ketosis, this guide will answer your question. We’re uncovering how to responsibly include alcohol into your keto diet. We’re also exploring which alcoholic beverages are the best, low-carbohydrate options for your keto diet plan.
Is Alcohol Permitted on the Keto Diet?
One of the most common questions facing the keto diet practitioner is whether alcoholic beverages are permissible while adhering to the diet. While it’s suggested to consume alcohol in moderation while practicing keto, the consumption of alcohol is allowable. Regular consumption of alcohol slows weight loss because the body stops burning fat and starts burning alcohol. That’s why alcohol moderation is very important, but it doesn’t have to be entirely eliminated.
One alternative is to focus your attention on which alcoholic beverages are the most keto-friendly. In general, it’s best to limit yourself to dry wine, low-carb beer, and liquor-based drinks. On the other hand, it’s advised to avoid excessively sugary drinks such as fruit-based coolers, pre-made cocktails, and liquors with mixers.
It’s also important to note that some people experience heightened levels of intoxication while consuming alcohol on the keto diet. Carbohydrates, which also stores water, isn’t around to counteract the dehydrating effects of alcohol. Therefore, it’s best to drink a glass of water after each alcoholic consumption to stay hydrated and slow the intoxication process.
Best Alcoholic Beverages for Keto
You can still adhere to the keto diet while practicing safe drinking. The key is to understand which alcoholic beverages are keto-friendly and to plan your consumption in advance. Practice intermittent fasting throughout the day. Drink water and non-carb beverages to suppress your appetite, or at least consume small portions of snacks during the day. The goal is to avoid carbs and fat before drinking alcohol since it will slow the fat-burning process later.
- Wine: it’s best to stick to a dry red or a dry white wine. These are the types of wine that are most likely to have the fewest carbs. Sparkling wine and champagne are usually low in carbs and adhere to the keto diet.
- Beer: this is where keto-users must be the most careful. Let’s consider that the average beer contains approximately 150 calories. This is also the case for non-alcoholic beers. While most beers are heavy in carbs, there are select beers that are known to be lower in carbs. These are often light beers such as Coors Light, Miller, and Budweiser.
- Liquor: it’s best to consume liquors that are flavor-free such as Vodka and some Tequilas. For cocktails, look to mixers that are sugar-free or contain minimal amounts of sugar. This can be anything from diet sodas to sparkling water and sugar-free energy drinks.
Worst Alcoholic Beverages for Keto
- Alcohol beverages that are excessively sugary or have a creamy component such as Baileys Irish Cream.
- Pre-mixed cocktails such as margarita mixes or coolers. These pre-mixed beverages are often comprised of high amounts of sugar. Not only does this go against your keto diet, but it’s also bound to result in a serious hangover.
- Flavored liquors. While many liquors rely on fruit-flavors to help disguise the natural flavors, it’s best to opt for the standard, unflavored liquors.
Can Those Who Follow the Keto Diet Drink Alcohol?
If you’re looking to make a lifestyle change, the keto diet could be the answer you’ve been searching for. While many fear that the keto diet is too restrictive, following a keto diet plan can actually be relatively simple. Most diet plans forbid the consumption of alcohol; this isn’t the case with the keto diet.
So, can people who commit to keto drink alcohol? The answer is yes!
For many, the allowance to consume alcohol whilst on the keto diet is part of what makes this diet realistic. The key is to know which alcoholic beverages fit within the plan. From low-carb beer, dry wines, and certain types of liquor, consuming alcohol while on a keto diet plan doesn’t have to feel impossible.
If you’re new to the keto diet, be sure to read tips for keeping your keto diet plan alive and well!