If you crave Chinese takeout, whip up these quick and delicious sesame chicken thighs instead of reaching for your food delivery app. The deep, nutty flavor of sesame oil tempers the sweetness of the maple syrup in this sweet and savory dish. Serve these with steamed and buttered vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower “rice” for a filling meal. Add optional sesame seeds for a presentation to rival your local takeout joint.
Nutritional Value Per Serving (1 thigh)
Sesame Broiled Sesame Chicken Thighs or WingsCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Medium
Ingredients – click on any of the ingredients to mark
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold the chicken, combine the soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame oil, garlic, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Reserve about one quarter of the sauce.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl, skin-side up. Submerge in the soy sauce. Refrigerate to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Place the thighs skin-side down in the baking dish.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven, about six inches from the broiler. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes with the oven door slightly ajar. Turn the chicken skinside up. Broil for about 2 minutes more.
- Turn the chicken again so it is now skin-side down. Move the baking dish to the bottom rack of the oven. Close the oven door and broil for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Turn the chicken again to skin-side up. Baste with the reserved sauce. Close the oven door and broil for 2 minutes more.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. With a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature. It should reach at least 165°F.
- Cool the chicken for 5 minutes before serving.
- FRUGAL FRIENDLY TIP: On keto, bone-in chicken thighs are preferable to boneless chicken thighs. Bone-in chicken thighs are often cheaper and sold in bulk. Stock up on bone-in thighs and, if a recipe arises where you need boneless chicken, debone the thighs and reserve the bones for homemade chicken stock.
Show this image on your web page:
<a href="https://ketofoodist.com/blog/sesame-broiled-chicken-recipe/" rel="nofollow"><img src="https://ketofoodist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/sesame-chicken-recipe.jpg" alt="Sesame Chicken recipe that's keto-friendly. Ingredients: black pepper, soy sauce, sugar-free maple syrup, sesame oil, minced garlic, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes." /></a>
Get Content Like This In Your Inbox!
Join our e-mail list and receive our weekly newsletter with keto diet tips and happenings in the low-carb world!
Thank you for subscribing. Please check your e-mail and confirm your subscription.
Something went wrong.